Pages

Saturday 26 March 2011

How much time is too much?



I've got to ask, since the subject of the amount of time I spend on my hair has been popping up quite often. I know I'm not being obsessive but I'll tell you how my routine goes and you tell me.

So I've been reading tons of posts about the benefits of protective styling and all the hair challenges flying around, I decided to make a few changes to my routine. I started off going to the hairdresser to make my twists and the plan was to keep them in for two weeks at a time, but I find at the end of the week my twists look frizzy and are begging for a re-doing. I stretched the first twists I got to two weeks, but I had plenty of knots on the tip of my hair when I took them down and it made my head look small.

The next week I got a cornrow + twist in front from the hair dressers again but I took them out after a week because again it got very frizzy. That weekend I opted to twist my self and instead of medium size twists I made minis, it took me 7 hours spread over two days to achieve this, but on the Friday of the same week I took the twists down again and wore a puff and pompadour for the rest of the week, that's where the troubles begin.

When I sleep with my hair in a pillow or scarf I get bed head in the morning and I really don't like my hair caking up at night and spending extra time in the morning to get it back in style. To work around this I make 8-9 braids/twists at night and undo them in to morning for a braid out or puff. The twists/braids take me about 20 minutes to make and about 7-10minutes to undo in the morning. so last thing at night and first thing in the morning :-)

So in total I'll say about 30 minutes a day,  over the week it adds up to 3.5 hours which is ok by me.
But I know it looks like all I do is have my hand in my hair all the time. But what to I do? It comes with the territory of being natural but it also comes across as slightly obsessive.

What do you think ladies?
How can I improve on my routine?
Have you been accused of spending too much time on your hair?
How much time is too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment