Pages

Thursday 30 December 2010

The Price of Being Natural

The weekend just gone buy I went looking for a new shampoo, condish, deep treatment and leave-in. Maybe its just me but most of the stuff out there are really expensive! I love to spoil myself every now and then, I love to indulge in things that make me happy, but I believe buying a bottle of good shampoo and condish shouldn't pinch.

My current regimen is fine and manageable, but I just couldn't resist the urge to try something else out there, you know what I mean.....

I've been using:

From Boots I buy:

Herbal Essences Hello Hydrations Shampoo (400ml): £3.49
Tressemme Naturals Conditioner (500ml): £3.99

Online and in local Afro-Carribean or Asian stores I buy:

Dudu Osun Black Soap (150g): £1.00
Henna (500g): £5.00

My BFF supplies my shea butter and I've got bottles of almond, tea tree, jojoba, olive, coconut, and vitamin E oils bought in August from Holland and Barrett for about £40.00.


Here's what I found on the shelf in John Lewis:

Aveda

Key Ingredients: Aloe vera and camomile



Brilliant Shampoo (250ml): £14.50
Brilliant Conditioner (200ml): £16.50
Damege Remedy Intensive Treatment(125ml): £21.00

Aveda recommends the brilliant range to add softness and shine to dull and dry hair, the be curly range is similarly price and is designed to enhance and define curls

Philip Kingsley



Key Ingredients: Cocoa butter, Almond oil, and Avocado Oil
Moisture Extreme Shampoo (200ml): £14.00
Moisture Extreme Conditioner (250ml): £17.00
Elasticizer Extreme: £25.00

PK recommends the following combination for coarse, curly and frizy hair:

Elasticizer Extreme(150ml)
Re-moisturizing Shampoo (250ml)
Re-moisturizing Conditioner (250ml)
Scalp Toner (250ml)

You'll have to part with £73.00 for this.

I'm curious about the PK Elasticizer, to help fight shrinkage. I really hate it when my 3 inch plus hair shrinks. I know shrinkage is only natural but shrinkage + dryness = breakage which I really need to avoid. I'll try this and write a review in the near future

If the result is unsatisfactory, I will try washing my hair only when braided till it gets long enough to put into 6 large braids to wash, should get there in 6 months hopefully.

Ojon



Key Ingredients: Ojon oil, Shea butter and Sweet almond protien

Ultra Hydrating Shampoo (250ml): £16.50
Ultra Hydrating Conditioner (250ml): £18.50
Restorative Treatment (150ml): £39.00

In the end I bought a box of Ojon range from John Lewis containing all 3 bottles above plus a leave-in conditioner on offer for £24.50.

I started off by applying the treatment to dry hair and left to rest for 20 mintues before following with an application of shampoo, then conditioner and finished with the leave-in.

On a scale of 1-10 I'll rate this product as a 6. Simply because I could have achieved the same results using black soap with Tresemme Naturals conditioner, which works fantistic for my hair.


I'm really eager to see natural hair products that don't break the bank, something around £4.50-£6.00 per 250m1 would be great. But until then the search continues, I'm quite happy to keep using the products I've got now, but the fun loving PJ in me will always want to try something new, just like buying a new pair of shoes, just got to have one more.


Do you think Natural hair products are unreasonably priced? What has your experience been?

No comments:

Post a Comment